Tag: history

Tramworks force monument relocation?

Reproduced with acknowledgement to Peter Stubbs  www.edinphoto.org.uk"

History repeats itself, and so it was that tramworks on Princes Street in 1926 led to the removal of a famous Edinburgh landmark – the Sinclair Fountain at the West End, which can now be found on the cycle paths, at Stedfastgate, overlooking the Water of Leith. The Sinclair Fountain was erected by novelist and [...]

+ READ MORE

History: Lamb’s House, Leith

32115344-Lamb's_House_Leith_itmpa_Flickr

Lamb’s House was probably one of the finest merchants’ houses in Scotland in the 16th and 17th centuries. It is an impressive four storey A listed building with crow-stepped gables, tall chimneys and massive fireplaces. Historians are unsure of it…

+ READ MORE

History: Leith Links, home of Golf?

Leith Links was home to Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers, and golf has been played here since at least 1552. The first official rules for a golf tournament were written here in 1744 and they form the basis of the modern gold rules, as playe…

+ READ MORE

History: Golf on Bruntsfield Links

32113014-bruntsfield_links_golf_marcusjroberts

Golf has been played on Bruntsfield LInks since the 15th century, and the Bruntsfield Links Golfing Society, formed in 1761 with members playing over a 6 hole course, is the fourth oldest golf club in the world and celebrated its 250th anniversary…

+ READ MORE

History: The Meadows

This famous local park — through which many people walk or cycle every day on their routes to work, university, or school — can get slightly puddle-y in Edinburgh’s inclement weather. Not everyone knows, though, that it actually used to be a loc…

+ READ MORE

History: Trinity Railway Station

Tucked away at the end of the Canonmills to Trinity path is the old Trinity Railway Station with the platforms opposite, hidden beneath the undergrowth. The station is now a private residence. The Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway line opened …

+ READ MORE

History: Granton Road Station

Long closed, to the West of the Wardie Rd exit, look for the remains of the old platforms of Granton Road Station. The station was on the Caledonian Line, linking Haymarket to Leith in 1864, with passenger services starting in 1879. Photo with per…

+ READ MORE

Open Doors Day: Barclay Viewforth Church

Barclay Viewforth Church – 1 Wright’s Houses Open Sat 24/9 10am – 4pm Barclay Church was built in 1862-64 to the powerful Victorian Gothic design of Frederick Thomas Pilkington following an architectural competition. Heavily influenced by John Rus…

+ READ MORE