Edinburgh’s Original Tram Depot

One of Edinburgh’s original tram depot buildings can still be seen on Henderson Row. The first cable hauled trams were introduced in Edinburgh in 1888, replacing horse-drawn trams, and these ‘new’ cable hauled trams had their depot and drive-mecha…

+ READ MORE

History: Whale bones on the Meadows

Across the road from here is Jawbone Walk – look out for the giant whale jawbones straddling the entrance to the Meadows. They formed part of the 1886 International Exhibition of Industry, Science and Art pavilion, held on the Meadows and were the…

+ READ MORE

History: Granton Lighthouse

Granton Lighthouse, on West Harbour Road, was never a proper lighthouse. Built in 1845 by the Northern Lighthouse Board, it was used as a depot for shipping out goods and equipment to offshore lighthouses around the coast. The lantern was used to …

+ READ MORE

Doors Open Day: the Museum of Fire

The Museum of Fire tells the history of the oldest municipal fire brigade in the United Kingdom, formed in 1824. Housed in the historic Fire and Rescue Service Headquarters building at Lauriston Place, it shows the development of firefighting thro…

+ READ MORE